Here's the rough steps on how to do it, according to the official FAQ.
- Stop and remove any cygrunsrv services
- Stop all Cygwin processes and unmount any filesystem's mount with the
- Delete the Cygwin root folder and all subfolders.
- Delete the Cygwin shortcuts on the Desktop and Start Menu.
- Remove cygwin binary path from your Windows search path, and delete the CYGWIN system variable.
- Delete Software\Cygwin keys from registry.
Removing SSHD serviceEdit
Exit from cygwin terminal and follow below steps:
To remove Cygwin sshd in the cleanest possible way:
cygrunsrv -E sshd and cygrunsrv -R sshd
open command prompt and run below command.
>sc delete sshd
delete the folder c:\cygwin and all its sub-folders
remove the Environment Variable 'CYGWIN'
edit the Environment path accordingly
Start...Run... regedit and delete these two registry trees
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER" --> Software --> Cygwin
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"--> Software --> Cygwin
Go to Control Panel, Category View, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.or click Start...Run...compmgmt.msc delete the sshd user if it exists in the "System Tools" - "Local Users and Groups" - "Users" section.
Thanks to Dave Abrahams of Boost Consulting for the sshd user account deletion hint.